2018 Program of Work
Following are the business objectives of the Whitefish Chamber of Commerce for 2018:
Economic Development Division:
- Lead efforts to address the affordable workforce housing shortage through implementation of the Whitefish Strategic Housing Plan; actively participate on the Strategic Plan Steering Committee.
- Support Glacier AERO and its efforts to attract more frequent and affordable air service to Glacier Park International Airport. Specifically target new direct air service to Texas.
- Investigate the potential for a summertime "trolley" circulator, to reduce peak season traffic and parking congestion/issues.
- Coordinate operation of the West Glacier Visitor Information Center from June through September to promote Whitefish business and attractions to park visitors.
- Review & re-tool the "Summer Job Fair" for local high students; pursue the addition of an educational component (resume writing, interview techniques, dressing for success, etc.)
- Work with business north of the viaduct to build community, improve business and address their mutual needs/concerns.
- Convene a working group of local builders/developers to offer input to the City re: removing barriers to "affordable" housing development in Whitefish.
- Maintain focus on growing fall and spring shoulder season tourism.
Government Affairs Division:
- Monitor the activities of local government, and advocate for programs, policies and decisions that have a positive impact on local businesses and the Whitefish economy
- Maintain an official Chamber presence at all meetings of the Whitefish City Council; ensure that the business community is represented on the appropriate City and County committees and task forces, including: the Whitefish Strategic Housing Plan Steering Committee, the Growth Policy Update Committee, the Tourism Master Plan Committee and the US 93 South Corridor Plan Committee.
- Utilize the "Quick Action System" to formulate and approve official Board/Chamber position statements via email on issues requiring immediate attention.
- Push for development of a fast-/multi-track system for City permit processing and approval, incorporating input from the local construction industry.
- Educate and inform Chamber members (and the public) about issues pending before state and local governments that could adversely impact their business and/or the region's economy.
- Host "Neighborhood Business Meetings" in Fall of 2018, to gather information from-and hear the concerns of-local business owners and managers.
- Encourage fiscal restraint and common sense in spending taxpayer dollars.
Member Services Division:
- Host monthly Gone Fishin' networking events on the Third Thursday of each month.
- Encourage members to promote their business by submitting member profiles and spotlights for newsletter publication, by distributing brochures and business cards at the Visitor Center, and by taking advantage of other Chamber-sponsored marketing opportunities.
- Maintain& Update the Chamber website and Community Calendar.
- Publish Chamber newsletter bi-monthly; distribute Chamber Chat eNewsletter weekly.
- Publish the Whitefish Guide (community profile and relocation guide) annually.
- Explore opportunities to ally with other local Chamber/business organizations.
Special Events Division:
- Plan, promote and produce the following annual events:
- Feast Whitefish food festival(May)
- July 4th Fireworks at CityBeach
- Huckleberry Days Art Festival(August)
- Great Northwest Oktoberfest (Sept/Oct)
- Christmas Stroll (December)