Position: Executive Director
Reports to: Explore Whitefish Board of Directors
Salary Range: $60,000/yr - $70,000/yr + Full Benefits
Established by the City of Whitefish, Explore Whitefish is the officially designated organization charged with destination marketing and stewardship of Whitefish, also known as the Whitefish Convention & Visitors Bureau. The organization also provides critical support for visitor information services, travel infrastructure development, market research, community resources, and public relations. Our Explore Whitefish team and board is made up of long-time residents who live and breathe the well-being of this community. We all want to find a good balance and preserve our community’s livability and character. We are working hard every day to protect Whitefish, integrating sustainability into all our efforts.
The position has two main responsibilities. With direction from the Board of Directors, this position is responsible for leading the Destination Stewardship strategies as identified in the Explore Whitefish Strategic Plan and implementing the Explore Whitefish Annual Marketing Plan. These strategies are informed by the Whitefish Sustainable Tourism Management Plan, passed by the City Council in September 2020.
Roles and Responsibilities
Management of Organization
- Plan, formulate and recommend for the approval of the Board of Directors such policies, activities, services and programs that further the objectives and goals for the Whitefish CVB and assume primary responsibility for implementing the same.
- Oversee and support the execution of annual Marketing Plan and Budget by staff and agencies.
- Train and supervise staff to carry out the CVB’s purpose and goals, and to provide for the organization’s day-to-day operation.
- Supervise, and coordinate the activities of the CVB’s agencies of record and marketing contractors.
- Oversee and coordinate the preparation of all financial documents and records.
- Execute such contracts of commitments as may be authorized by the bylaws or the Board of Directors and carry out any other duties as assigned.
- Direct the services of fiscal and legal counsel retained by the Board of Directors.
- Exercise discretionary powers as granted by the bylaws and the Board of Directors.
- Oversight of the management, planning, organizing and implementation of member business retention and new business member acquisition.
- Oversee and coordinate all other membership communications (newsletters, lodging surveys, etc.)
- Work with staff to maintain, coordinate and communicate all CVB benefits for members.*
- Lead community engagement in all Destination Stewardship initiatives.
- Maintain effective relationships through personal contact with other organizations, both public and private, whose interests have an impact on the visitor industry.
- Represent the CVB at industry and community meetings and functions.
- Serve as lead point of contact for local, regional, and state partners such as the City of Whitefish, Whitefish Chamber of Commerce, Discover Kalispell, Glacier Country, Glacier National Park, and the Montana Office of Tourism.
- Influence local, state, national and international levels of government and the visitor industry to carry out organization goals and objectives; monitors trends and identifies visitor-related issues.
- Responsible for the overall management and planning of all meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Provide accurate and current information to the Board regarding the status of relevant activities and programs including federal, state and local matters that may influence the CVB.
- Along with the Board of Directors, set priorities for all board committees and serve as lead or support for all board committees.
- Assist with any and all other programs and projects as needed or directed by the Board.
- Four-year degree or related experience in the fields of marketing, economic development, communication, recreation and/or hospitality.
- Knowledge of Whitefish business community, recreational products, and cultural assets.
- Exceptional relationship building, customer service and interpersonal communication skills (oral and written)
- Exceptional presentational skills and comfort with public speaking
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects and committees effectively
- Ability to resolve conflicts effectively
- Basic computer skills: proficiency with Microsoft Office style products and online business applications.
- Must have own transportation. Mileage and other travel expenses are reimbursed by the WCVB.
- Some heavy lifting required.
Email a resume and cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications to:
Explore Whitefish/Whitefish Convention and Visitors Bureau
c/o Luke Walrath, Business Manager
Questions? Call (406) 862-3390