Getting to Whitefish
Getting to Whitefish is easier than you may have thought! Whitefish is located in the northwest corner of Montana, at the northernmost tip of the spectacular Flathead Valley. The western entrance to Glacier National Park lies 25 miles east of Whitefish on U.S. 2, the major east/west route through the region.
Whitefish is served by Glacier Park International Airport (FCA), just 15 minutes from Whitefish. Commercial air service provided by:
- Delta/Sky West ....(800) 221-1212
- Horizon/Alaska .....(800) 547-9308
- United Airlines ......(800) 864-8331
- Allegiant Air ..........(702) 505-8888
- Charter Service provided by Glacier Jet Center offers airport support services including a private terminal, aircraft storage and air charters: call (866) 353-8322.
You can ride Amtrak to the historical Whitefish Train Depot Amtrak arrives twice daily at the Whitefish Depot, located in downtown Whitefish. For more information, phone (406) 862-2268 or toll-free 800-872-7245.
- Daily from Seattle (Eastbound): Arrives: 7:26 am; Departs: 7:46 am
- Daily from Chicago (Westbound): Arrives: 8:56 pm; Departs: 9:16 pm
Travel by car through some of the most scenic landscapes anywhere in the world! U.S. Hwy. 93 is the primary north/south corridor in the Valley, and passes directly through Whitefish en route to the Canadian border some 50 miles north.
Driving Distances to Whitefish
- Billings 434 mi / 698.44 km
- Missoula 129 mi / 209.21 km
- Helena 210 mi / 337.95 km
- Great Falls 220 mi / 354.05 km
- Seattle 543 mi / 874 km
- Spokane 245 mi / 394 km
- Calgary 315 mi / 507 km
Driving Distances from Whitefish:
- Whitefish Mountain Resort 7.9 mi
- Glacier National Park 24 mi
- Glacier Park International Airport 11.2 mi
- Kalispell 15 mi
- Flathead Community College 12.5 mi
- Columbia Falls 7 mi
- West Yellowstone 385 mi
- Canadian Border (Port of Roosville) 55 mi
- Banff, AB 280 mi / 450.61 km
- Edmonton, AB 504 mi / 811 km
- Fernie, BC 122 mi / 196 km
- Lethbridge, AB 200 mi / 322 km
- Cranbrook, BC 138 mi / 221 km
What to Wear
Whitefish is a fairly “casual” community. The best advice is to be prepared for both warm and cool weather. For spring and summer bring shorts, walking shoes, light weight slacks, and your most comfortable pair of jeans, but don't forget your favorite sweatshirt or jacket for the evening. Dress in layers and bring rain gear wherever you go.
With an elevation of 3,033 feet and the top of Whitefish Mountain Resort at 6817 feet, there are typically no problems acclimating to the elevation with visiting Whitefish. The area climate is relatively mild year round. Summer temperatures average in the high 70's, but the evenings are cool. The average temperature for the coldest month of the year is in the low 30's as compared to the other side of the Continental Divide, where the average is 15 degrees colder. The wind hardly ever blows in Whitefish! You know it's true by looking at the fence posts-the snow piles straight up!
If you're planning a short trip to Canada during your stay you MUST HAVE A VALID PASSPORT or a GOVERNMENT BOARDER CROSSING CARD.
For information on traveling to/from Canada, please visit http://www.beaware.gc.ca/english/toce.shtml