• Relocation

  • Becoming a Montanan

    MOVING MT Flag.jpg

    Montana has several different residency requirements.

    Driver’s Licenses – For the purposes of obtaining a Driver’s License, you are considered a Montana resident after living in the state for 60 consecutive days, and must have a Montana license in order to operate a motor vehicle.  For commercial drivers, the requirement is 30 days.

    Hunting/Fishing – For hunting and fishing licenses, you are considered a Montana resident after 180 days.  After residency is established, you must continue to live in Montana at least 120 days a year and meet a number of other residency criteria.

    State Colleges & Universities – For the purposes of higher education, a student must reside in Montana for a minimum of one full year prior to registration.

  • Getting Your Driver’s License

    MT Drivers License.jpg

    New residents must obtain a Montana Driver’s License within 60 days of their arrival in the state.  Bring two forms of identification with you, including a valid driver’s license or passport, and proof of your home address (a voter registration card, payroll check or stub, bank statement, utility bill or valid residential lease).  By appointment only.  Call (406) 257-2127 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Montana Driver’s Services is located at 1325 Highway 2 West, Suite E, Kalispell, MT.

  • Vehicle & Boat Registration

    MT Motor Vehicle Division

    New residents must apply for a Montana vehicle title – and register their cars, trucks, motorcycles, trailers, motorboats, jet skis, ATVs and snowmobiles – within 60 days of establishing residency in the state.  Flathead County residents can apply in person between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at Department of Motor Vehicles located at 935 1st Avenue West, Kalispell, MT or call (406) 758-5690.

  • Utility Hook-Ups

    Utilities Photo.jpg

    • Water & Sewer service in Whitefish is provided by the City of Whitefish.  Call (406) 863-2457 or stop by Whitefish City Hall at 418 E. Second Street.
    • Electrical service throughout the valley is provided by the Flathead Electric Co-op.  Call them at (406) 751-4483.
    • Natural Gas is supplied to Whitefish residents by Northwestern Energy.  Call their business office at (888) 467-2669.
    • Phone/Internet/Cable customers have several providers to choose from, including  CenturyLink and Optimum
  • Getting the Scoop

    Local Newspapers

    The City of Whitefish is served by a large daily newspaper and a pair of weekly newspapers, both of which publish on Wednesday mornings.


  • Tax Information

    Tax Photo

    State Income Tax –  For assistance with individual, non-resident or business tax questions, contact the information Citizen Services Call Center at  (866) 859-2254, or visit http://revenue.mt.gov

    Flathead County Tax – For information on property and other local taxes, visit the Flathead County Treasurer at 935 1st Ave. West in Kalispell, call the Treasurer’s office at (406) 758-5680, or go to: http://flathead.mt.gov/treasurer